Latinx OER Hack-a-thon
Professional Development Opportunity | Thursday, September 16 - Friday, October 8, 2021
The Latinx OER Hack-a-thon, a collaborative event brought together by the Academic Innovation and Distance Education office (AIDE), the Department of Global Languages and the Latinx Student Success Initiative (LSSI) is a hybrid professional development opportunity for faculty and staff wishing to broaden their Open Educational Resources (OER) knowledge and have it informed through a Latinx perspective.
We invite you to join us in working collaboratively to create a toolkit of resources av at BHCC can use to infuse FREE Latinx culturally relevant materials into course work and programs. We will review how to find high quality, openly licensed Latinx OER materials and how to reuse them within our teaching and work materials.
Learning Outcomes of the Latinx OER Hack-a-thon
This PD specifically focuses on developing a toolkit of OER materials, across disciplines, that have a Latinx focus. Collected materials will be used to develop an ePortfolio Toolkit that can be used as part of course materials or programs, across disciplines. The materials can be in English, Spanish, or Portuguese. With this in mind, this PD experience will address the following outcomes:
- Identify various types of OER materials.
- Identify collections of Latinx focused OER resources relevant to your own course(s) and academic/programmatic discipline.
- Analyze best practices for finding and adopting OER materials.
- Share found resources with colleagues in your department, discipline, and/or division.
Upon completion of the following deliverables, participants in the Latinx OER Hack-a-thon will receive a $480 stipend (total of 12 hours of work):
- Attend two virtual synchronous events (Thursday, September 16 at 1-2:30 p.m. AND September 30 at 5-6:30 p.m. Sept 30 will be by invitation only to those who are participating in the Hack-A-thon
- Enroll and complete 5 engagement activities (discussion boards, reflection, assignments and evaluation) in the Latinx OER Hack-a-thon Moodle by Sunday, October 10.
To indicate your interest in participating in the Latinx OER Hack-a-thon, please complete the following form https://forms.gle/XnaF2KofHkNQhXXB7. Form must be filled out by September 9, 2020.
Who can attend: It is open to all
Mini-workshop: Latinx OER Hack-a-thon
September 16 from 1-2:30 p.m.
Can’t attend the full Hack-a-thon workshop, but want to know more? In this hour and a half session, you will learn the basics of what Open Educational Resources are, identify what Creative Commons licenses and help find resources from the Latinx perspective.