Bunker Hill Community College

BHCC Mobile and Tablet Header

Transferring Credits into BHCC

Students who have earned credit at another college of university may submit original, unopened official transcripts for a transcript evaluation.

View courses commonly transferred to Bunker Hill from regionally accredited institutions within the United States

Send official transcripts from all previous colleges directly to the Academic Records Office at the time you apply to the college.

Academic Records Office
Bunker Hill Community College
250 New Rutherford Avenue
Boston, MA 02129

Official college transcripts may also be dropped off at Student Central, room B202, Charlestown campus.  All official transcripts must be received by BHCC staff members in their original unopened sealed envelope.

Electronic official transcripts should be sent to AcademicServices@bhcc.edu.

There are a number of reasons why you may be excused from full or partial testing; review information on the Assessment Center webpage to determine if you need to take the CPT.

No, students do not need to wait for an evaluation of their college transcripts before registering for classes.

  • Accepted students (applied and received acceptance) should follow the Ready-Set-Go New Student Enrollment Checklist and should attend an Advising & Registration session as soon as possible. Students should bring an unofficial transcript(s) to their Advising & Registration session to assist with appropriate course placement and advising.
  • Guest students (students who have not been accepted to the College) should bring an unofficial copy of your transcript to register for classes at Student Central, room B202, Charlestown campus.

Transfer Credit may be awarded if:

  • the courses are comparable to those offered at BHCC;
  • a grade of C or better is earned from a regionally accredited college or university (programs requiring a C+ or higher are noted on the program curriculum sheet located in the BHCC College Catalog);
  • computer courses are not more than five years old;
  • Anatomy and Physiology I and II courses are not more than 10 years old for some selective health program applications.

You can use a maximum of 45 transfer credits toward the BHCC associate degree and a maximum of 75 percent of the total number of credits required for certificate programs.

Once an official transcript has been evaluated and you have registered for classes, transferred in courses will appear on your BHCC transcript with a letter grade of TR.  TR grades are not counted in your BHCC GPA (Grade Point Average) and are not used to calculate your completion rate.  BHCC uses both completion rates and GPA to calculate your academic standing at the College.

Credits earned at colleges which follow a quarter system will be converted to semester-hour equivalents resulting in an adjustment in the number of credits transferred.

Bunker Hill Community College’s Prior Learning Assessment program (PLA) provides evaluation and, when appropriate, awards academic credits for learning acquired outside the traditional college environment. This includes: credit by departmental examination, College-Level Examination Program (CLEP), Advanced Placement Examinations (AP) credit, Military Evaluation; and Workplace Training. To learn more, visit Prior Learning Assessment.

Our Veterans Center is committed to providing veterans, active duty military, Guard/Reservists, and their eligible dependents with a smooth transition to college and a successful educational experience. Learn more.

If you earned credits at a university located outside of the United States, you must obtain a detailed course-by-course evaluation of your international transcripts utilizing a credential evaluation service. Organizations our students frequently use are:

We also accept credential evaluations from organizations with AACRAO membership and organizations endorsed by the National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) and the Association of International Credential Evaluators, Inc. (AICE). Visit their websites for a full list of members: 

NACES: www.naces.org

AICE: www.aice-eval.org 

Students who plan to transfer to a 4-year university may be required to use a specific credential evaluation service. If you know where you plan to transfer after studying at BHCC, contact their admissions department and ask which credential evaluations they accept.

If you are trying to locate your academic records (transcript) from a college that has closed, you should contact the state licensing agency in the state in which that college was located to determine where your records are stored.  If the college was located in Massachusetts, the Massachusetts Department of Higher Education can provide contact information to request your transcript.

If you disagree with the transfer credit award decision, request a meeting with a Transfer Counselor by emailing transferservices@bhcc.edu   The purpose of this meeting is to give you an opportunity to present evidence such as course descriptions and syllabi to demonstrate that the course(s) in question are either the equivalent or comparable and meet the criteria listed above.  The Transfer Counselor will contact relevant Faculty, Department Chair and or the Academic Dean to review course documentation as needed.  If the matter is not resolved with the Transfer Counselor, you can appeal in writing to the appropriate Associate Provost of Academic Affairs requesting that the Associate Provost review the materials and findings.  The decision of the Associate Provost is final.